Vitiligo is a skin disorder in which different parts of the body have white patches of skin. It occurs as a result of the destruction of cells that are responsible for the skin’s natural colour.
It mostly occurs in youths between 20-30 years. It also occurs in children whose parents have the disorder. In rare cases, children will not get vitiligo even though both parents have it. This disorder has, over the years, been known to cause severe depression in both children and adults.
Of course, depression comes in different levels, depending on your age group. The following are ways that clearly outline how vitiligo can cause severe depression:
- Social Stigma: Individuals with this disorder are stigmatized at home, school, or even their workplace. Youths, in particular, are the worst affected when it comes to stigmatization. The fact that they cannot, in any way, blend with their peers leads them into deep depression. All vitiligo patients, in particular, have to deal with being isolated and ignored as they are seen as a potential threat.
- Low Self-Esteem: Vitiligo patients are burdened with having a condition that most people don’t understand. TVs, magazines and other forms of visual media portray flawless skin as something that all people should have. As much as people living with vitiligo would want to fit in, they can’t. They end up feeling left out, thus finding it difficult to confidently express themselves. Depression kicks in when the individual’s self-esteem issues become too much to handle.
- Stress: Vitiligo, like any other disorder, needs to be kept under control by constant use of medication. What if these drugs are out of reach? Most families today are languishing in poverty, thus they are far from capable of purchasing the prescribed drugs. Failure to adhere to the doctor’s prescription only makes the condition worse. They end up being stressed as they look for ways to make the much-needed money for the drugs. The stress later on leads to major depression.
- Abuse: Some people with vitiligo have to live with constant abuse from friends and family. Abuse could either be either or verbal or physical. Having to live with this everyday gives them a lack of purpose and self-worth. It’s not their fault they have vitiligo. The constant abuse makes the fact of having it even worse. Unfortunately, they find it difficult to speak out as they are too traumatised to share it with anyone.
- Suicidal Thoughts: The mind becomes overwhelmed by the level of stigmatization, abuse and stress. Also, the fact of having white patches on the skin makes it life even harder. They end up feeling that they would be better off dead than alive. Although experts have made it clear that vitiligo is not at all fatal, this is not so consoling for those who have to deal with it every single day.
Depression comes when they are not sure of what to do with their lives.
Depression is also a disorder of its own. People with vitiligo should be open about their life struggles with doctors, councilors or whoever they deeply trust. It is not easy, but with proper advise and counseling, depression will never be an issue. There is always a way to deal with circumstances in life, no matter how difficult they are. If you, or someone you know is suffering from vitiligo, I recommend checking out Natural Vitiligo Treatment System review along with other natural home remedies for vitiligo that have been found to be effective at combating this condition.
Is Depression a Mental Illness?
This question must have come to your mind every time you feel sad or can seem to get go with your day. The answer is yes. According to researches depression is a very serious mental illness which can break a person’s mental strength and also it also affects a person physically too. Many people who are depressed and do not take the right help fails to function normally and even have suicide tendencies.
If you feel that you are a patient of depression then you should take the right steps to overcome this mental illness and have a healthy life. Read on to know some of the crucial step which you should take.
Learn About it
Before you decide if you are a patient of depression, you should first make sure that you are indeed affected by it or you are just facing a difficult time in your life. To know better about the subject of “is depression a mental illness” take the help of the internet. There are many helpful and informative articles and researches which are published online and you can go through them to know the different types of depression. There are many websites which talks about the symptoms of the different types of depression. You should go through the list to see if you suffer from them or not. This will help you to get a clear idea about your mental state.
Talk to Someone
If you find that you are indeed a person suffering from depression then you should first talk about it to a person who might be able to help you. There are some sort of depression which can be controlled if you talk about your feelings and your problems. You can share your pain with this trusted person and try to solve the problem which is the cause of your depression. With constant support from a loved one and your own will power you can get rid of your depression and can leave a normal lifestyle.
Now it may happen that you do not have any one to talk to or share your problem. In such cases you can join a forum. There are many online forum and local help centers that are there to help out any person who feels that they need help. You can discuss your problems and your feeling there and the members will do all that is possible to guide you in the right direction.
Get Professional Help
Now it may happen that you tried your best to overcome your depression but could not find any solution to your problem. In such a case it will be a good choice to go seek professional help. As depression is considered as a mental illness, so for that reason there are many doctors that is psychiatrist who are there to help a person to overcome their depression. There are many pharmaceuticals drugs which can help a person of depression and only a qualified doctor can provide the right medicine as they will know exactly what you need to get rid of this horrible disease.